Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is "the BOMB" according to my brother Ben. I had made a different tortilla soup and had him over for dinner. He said it was good (I thought it was really good), but my sister's tortilla soup was "the BOMB." So my curiousity got the best of me and I had to have her recipe and find out for myself. And it is excellent. Easily Adam's favorite soup.

2 C cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 15 oz. diced tomatoes, mostly drained
1/3-1/2 can of Hatch's green chile enchilada sauce (16 oz.) - this makes it a little spicy so you may want to add slowly little by little
4 oz. green chiles
15 oz. pinto beans (or I've used white or black), rinsed and drained
1 small onion, chopped (I sautee in butter till they're clear before I add)
2 T minced garlic
14 oz. can of chicken broth
15 oz. can of corn, drained
1 15 oz. can of cream of chicken
1 1/2 C water
2 t. chicken bouillion
1 t. cumin
1/2 t seasoned salt
1/2 t. salt
8-10 corn tortillas, cut up in small squares (I have used tortilla chips instead and they worked well)
*Sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese (to put on top of soup)

Dump all the ingredients in crockpot, except tortillas and the toppings (sour cream, chips, & cheese). Cook on low for 4 hours. Add tortillas for the last hour or so (they will mostly dissolve). OR you can cook on stove top for an hour (same thing...dump everything in) and add the tortillas once the soup is boiling. Garnish with sour cream, chips, & cheese!

No comments: