Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

I got this recipe from Kristin Free's bread-making class over a year ago. I've been making it frequently since then, and we all love it. Sadie will not eat store bought bread but she eats this. Also, Kristin's original recipe is four times this one--I cut it down to one loaf, because that's how much I make at a time and it fits in my bread maker.

1 1/4 cup warm-hot water
1/2 T yeast
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (I usually use white bread flour for the last cup and a 1/3 just to make it a little lighter)
1/6 cup oil
1/6 cup honey
1/2 T salt
1/2 T gluten (optional)
1/2 T dough enhancer (optional)
1/2 T lecithin (optional)

Measure ingredients into bread maker in the following order:
water, yeast, 1 cup flour, oil and honey, 1 cup flour, salt, 1 1/3 cups flour. Mix on "dough" setting. After cycle is complete, shape dough into a loaf, place in greased bread pan, and let rise until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Brush top of finished loaf with butter.

*More notes: For the oil and honey, I use a 1/3 cup measure and fill it half full with oil, then to the top with honey before dumping it all in. The honey slides right out that way and you don't have to scrape it.
I have never included the last three ingredients but I'd like to get them and see what kind of difference it makes.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks Janell, this is a great easy recipe...I'm making it right now!!

Peterson Fam said...

Do you know where you get the last 3 things? Just at the grovery store? Thanks Janell! I just bought my first bread pan! So watch out! And thanks for the bread machine info...I have one of those, so this is helpful.

Janell said...

Bethany--I got some gluten at Sprouts--kind of over by the cereal. It comes in a plastic bag. I'm not sure about the other two. Stephanie told me about the gluten, so she might know!