Sunday, September 30, 2007

Texas Caviar Salsa

I got this recipe from Catherine T. She brought some for me once and I had to have the recipe. I don't know why it's so good, but it is. When I want something salty, nothing beats a bowl of this with tortilla chips. Plus, it’s healthy (depending on what you’re dipping in it).

2 cans shoepeg corn (usually comes in a short, fat can—small white kernels)
2 cans black-eyed peas
1 can diced green chilies
4-6 tomatoes, diced
1 bell pepper diced (I like orange or yellow)
diced: cilantro, green onions, garlic (to taste)
¼-1/2 cup zesty italian dressing (bottled, not powder)
Salt, pepper, jalapenos and Tabasco to taste

Mix together in a big bowl and chill overnight for best flavor (we usually can’t wait that long).

Notes: My taste buds can’t handle spicy, so I omit the jalapenos, Tabasco, and a little less than half of the diced chilies. To me the chilies I do put in and the cilantro give it enough bite. Also, I often just include one can each of the corn and black-eyed peas.

No comments: